Saturday, December 4, 2010

Marshallpalooza!

No food review this week, unfortunately :( I've been deathly sick holed up in my dorm room.

It seems a little contradictory to hold a carnival the Friday before finals week, but let's face it--you can't study 24/7! And what better way to destress than to spend a few hours playing carnival games with your friends? Despite catching the flu and winding up playing catch up in studies I let my friends drag me out to Marshall field and we challenged each other at all the games--duck races, basketball shots, ladder races, dunk tanks, you name it. They gave out rubber duckies and glow sticks as prizes to the winner of each game! Along with that, there was free food! Once you get to college, the unspoken rule in dorm life is free food shalt never be turned down. People walked around with trays of hot dogs and there was a stand serving corn on the cob with garlic and seasonings.

Lastly, there's the Ferris wheel--romantic, shiny, and a tad scary (are Ferris wheels supposed to go that fast?), but well worth the ride! I love Marshallpalooza!

I apologize for the delay in blogging. My internet has actually been down for the last few days because of a blackout in my building. Someone across the hall blew a fuse and our suite was left without light for about 2 hours--yikes. Definitely not a conducive environment for studying! That brings me to my second important point: always carry a flashlight. Remember that open flames aren't allowed in the dorms, for good reason! I also find a flashlight handy in non-blackout situations. Since I live in a triple and I room with athletes, I'm frequently up later than them (when you have 6am weights, you definitely want an early night's sleep!). Instead of turning on the light when I'm ready to turn in, I use my flashlight to make my way to the top bunk in the dark.

Good luck to all on their finals! Remember to eat and sleep well while studying too--studies show that students do better with a good night's sleep :)
Rosanne

2 comments:

  1. Flashlights are sooo important! I've had one for the past two years and forgot to bring one this year. I ended up buying a lame one at Ralph's for more than my favorite one at Target, but I'm still glad I have it. They're good for night walks around campus too--one of my favorite activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it figures that the lights would go out when you need them the most!

    ReplyDelete