Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Soy milk has grown on me!

Has milk been a part of your diet for most of your life? Same here!

I drank milk for the longest time, and decided to try something different. Actually it was a combination of that reason, and that someone told me that at my age, milk doesn't necessarily benefit my health. : ) Since I knew I could get my calcium from other sources, I decided to give soy milk a chance.

I was hesitant at first because I expected that it wouldn't match the taste of ice cold milk. I was right! It doesn't. That's because it's made from soybeans.

It has its own unique flavor that's still smooth and refreshing. In my opinion, it has a lighter taste than milk, which I like.So I found a yummy replacement that also acts as a great source of protein.

I was just happy I didn't have to kick my late night cereal-for-dinner habit. :)

You can find the Silk brand of soy milk at Place and Markets in The Village, Roger's, and Goody's.

Perhaps you can try it as a substitute ingredient, while baking cookies, or just as a complement to oatmeal and cereal.Since the holidays are coming up, use soy milk in your favorite hot beverage, such as coffee or hot cocoa. Yum!

Let me know how your recipe turns out if you choose to use soy milk.

I use soy milk in moderation though because it's not the end-all perfect source of protein. I try to mix up my diet with different sources of nutrients from different foods.

If you're interested in the debate on whether soy is as beneficial a product as it's marketed to be, check out these links:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/MilkSubstitutes.htm

The first one praises the benefits of soy, while the second link hosts a forum for discussion on soy as part of our diets.

http://caloriecount.about.com/soy-estrogen-men-ft36304

I would love to hear your feedback on these links, or any of your personal findings and opinions on the subject.Live well.

-Hilary : )

No comments:

Post a Comment