Tuesday, May 3, 2011

ID's and Architecture

This last week has been great weather wise, but for those of us with lots and lots of midterms, this point in the quarter can be pretty hectic.  Trying to keep up in your classes and find time to eat and get some exercise can be super tough.  I have a substantial amount of work, not to mention that our lacrosse team made playoffs this year so this weekend I’ll be in Arizona tearing it up.  The point is that when you’re super busy and you have no extra time, it can be tough to figure out how and when to get your ID card fixed when it decides to snap in half and you need it to get into your apartment.  
Here’s the scoop: its free to replace your ID card if it’s damaged, all you have to do is take your old card to the student services building on the third floor and the ID card office will print you another.  Then make sure you swing by the transportation office located in the Gilman Parking Structure by Sixth college to get another bus sticker for your new ID card.  
If your ID card does warp or get scratched, or bend right down the middle of the picture of your face so it looks like you’re smiling, and you do what I had to do to replace your card, check out the architecture on the student services building.  I’m no architecture enthusiast, but I enjoy an interesting building and even though I walk by the Student Services building every day, I only noticed its style when I had to climb to the third floor.  I was in a rush as usual, so I took the stairs, and that’s when i noticed its resemblance to a treehouse.  See for yourself or take my word for it, but when you climb the stairs, there is a non symmetrical form to the stairs and upper floors and a lot of space to look down (not the place for someone who’s afraid of heights) that reminds me of being in a tree, not to mention the ivy that climbs with the stairs all the way up the side of the building giving a sense of foliage.  
Ever since my visit to the Student Services building, I’ve been noticing great architecture everywhere on campus.  Most obvious to a first time visitor is Geisel library, but most of the buildings down Warren Mall are aesthetically well designed.  So if you happen to be running around campus, which most students probably will be at some point or another, check out the buildings around you because you might see something cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment