Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Village Dine-In

The Bistro, a full service restaurant, is making its grand debut Fall 2011 in The Strand. Currently, it's open from Monday to Thursday 11am-3pm, and after hearing it takes dining dollars I just knew I had to swing by.
My friend and I decided to pay them a spontaneous visit last Thursday and managed to secure a spot within 15-20 minutes (reservations are highly recommended though--call 858.822.4275). I loved loved the well lit restaurant and the modern decor and design. The Bistro couldn't shake off that "dining hall" feel, with the drowning chatter of diners and your close proximity to the diner next to you. The service was also blindingly fast--not that it's a bad thing!
We were started off with delicious chips and sweet chili or hummus dip. My friend and I skipped the appetizer option and went straight to the entrees. My sweet miso northern halibut arrived in probably less than five minutes and it was so juicy and flavorful. The sauce was not too thick, sweet, or overpowering, and the orange zest added a nice kick. I'm not the biggest fan of brown rice but I think it goes very well with the halibut and vegetables.
The only catch when you choose to pay The Bistro a visit--it makes a nice dent in your dining dollars. As such, it's a great place when you've got money to burn or are interested in a nice treat to a mouthwatering ahi avocado poke (9), followed by a beautifully made sweet miso northern halibut (10) and finishing with some grilled pineapple with creme anglaise (4). I'd like to say it's worth every dollar.

-Rosanne

1 comment: