Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Whale Watching!

Meal of the week: a ten second review of dining hall food
Salmon cream cheese sushi rolls. $5.95. Not much else to say--there's different types of sushi offered at Pines and Cafe V.
When/where: Lunch, Pines
Delicious? Yum. My friends have complained about the poor quality of dining hall sushi, but I've yet to run into that problem, and I get tuna/salmon whenever it's available. Portions are small in relation to price, but past experience says that's the trend at Pines. You could call me traditional in my sushi tastes (buffalo chicken roll? really?), and I always wish they offer tuna or salmon rolls more frequently.

The extended weekend and the days leading up to it have been busy, busy for me--I was determined to catch up in work before having a blast on our extended holiday. My friends and I aren't much on hitting up the party/clubbing scene. Instead, we took a nice, long scenic trip through La Jolla and its beaches, meeting lots of wildlife along the way.

We're in the middle of the gray whale migration period, which runs from December to March! We spent our Saturday heading to a cliffside in an attempt to spot some whales. The knoll, or officially known as the Scripps Coastal Reserve, is found by turning onto La Jolla Shores Road from N. Torrey Pines. You then take the first right onto La Jolla Farms Drive and follow the road until you see a low gated area on the left. Just duck under the gate and follow the path until you see the ocean.

It's a great place to go in general. There's plenty of green to see (flowers are supposed to bloom in spring!), a lot of couples went to watch the sunset together, the view is breathtaking, and my friend's professor recommended it as a spot to go whale watching! Make sure you bring binoculars--and if it was as sunny as it was when I went, bring sunglasses.

For the record, we never saw any whales :'( we did catch dolphins jumping here and there though! And the gorgeous sunset view pretty much made the whole trip worth it.
For people planning to attend UCSD or those who are attending the school now, I'd recommend you to go explore the area and nearby San Diego--either by yourself or with friends. It's fun to stay on campus, but you never know what you're missing until you go out and explore the gorgeous place that's right outside your doorstep.

Rosanne

No comments:

Post a Comment