Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Surprising Discovery: Foodworx

Now, I know Rosanne just wrote up an amazingly comprehensive and detailed review of every single dining hall on campus, but I thought I would throw my two-cents in there to talk about my new favorite place to eat- Foodworx.

I know. It's a bazillion miles away from the main area of campus, down long rows, through jungles, across oceans, but... it's actually worth it.

I literally have stumbled upon Foodworx once before this quarter. I was taking a random midnight walk around campus with a friend my FIRST QUARTER ON CAMPUS. It was a tiny little building, bustling with people and food and we walked right past it without really thinking much except "Oh, this is where Foodworx is." As soon as that moment passed, Foodworx was out of my mind for good.

Until recently.

I've been to Foodworx three times now in the past week. My flatmate and I have been craving pizza and so far OVT's pizza slices have NOT been doing the trick. Neither did a Superbowl Day splurge on Papa John's pizza. Neither did an expensive perfectly cheesy pizza from Borelli's that was such a treat while staying with some nearby family last weekend. Nothing quite did it until... we decided to get off our butts and journey to Foodworx to try the incredible personal pizzas we'd been hearing so much about recently.

Totally worth it. We split between us a cheese pizza and a bbq chicken with garlic pizza. They were absolutely delicious. Now, I am definitely an extra cheese and only cheese pizza kind of girl, but this bbq chicken pizza was to die for. While we waited, we also noticed that there was a waffle bar, so we made a plan to head down there the next morning to try the waffles. Also, delicious and amazing.

Today, we decided to run to Foodworx on our way back from the mall, grab some pizzas, and head to the volleyball game. While three of us waited for three bbq chicken pizzas, our friend went to the other side and ordered a peanut butter wrap with apples and nutella. THIS WAS NOTHING MY TONGUE HAD EVER TASTED. It was AMAZING. It blew my mind away. It was SO GOOD. And plus, we noticed at night, they turn the breakfast waffle bar into a DESSERT waffle bar.

Another cool little tidbit- they have bottled Coke from Mexico. I don't know about you, but soda tastes infinitely better from Mexico. And I love drinking out of glass bottles.

The point is--go to Foodworx. If you're tired of Pines and its dismal selection, or if you're tired tired of the same old same old at Goody's and OVT, or if Cafe V isn't an option and never really was, or if Revelle is just too far away (all of these equal the general opinion of my apartment), then make the trek to Foodworx. It is UCSD's hidden gem of delicious, for sure.

1 comment:

  1. :) yay for seconding Foodworx! I'd like to throw in my (second? third?) recommendation for their salads. Up until college I never really thought there were ways to improve on a salad (mix lettuce, veggies, dressing? what else can you do?), but they just have SO MUCH YOU CAN ADD. Cut apples, feta cheese, salmon and bacon and tofu...other dining hall salads just can't compare.

    Now I want to head there now and grab a dessert waffle!! haha yumm. They also stock aloe sometimes, which is a drink I greatly miss from home xD

    ReplyDelete