Saturday, February 26, 2011

Going Vegetarian

Meal of the week: a ten second review of dining hall food
Cream of asparagus soup, peanut butter and jelly and honey sandwich. $2.75 for the soup, $1.50 for the sandwich. 
When/where? 2/24, lunch at Pines
Delicious? The cream of asparagus was a tad too heavy on the cream and could use a little more asparagus, but the taste was great, not too salty or too sour. I really like the way Pines offers peanut butter and jelly sandwiches--OVT has the jelly but not the butter.

For the last week I've been eating vegetarian (or more specifically, ovo-lacto vegetarian, where I can consume dairy products and eggs but not meat). One of my suitemates thrives on a largely plant-based diet and I thought it would be a nice self challenge to follow her meal plan for a month. It's a fun experiment in a way, too: what do people with meal restrictions eat in college?

I didn't think I could pull it off, to be honest, because of my dislike of tofu, onions and bell peppers (which are frequently substituted for meat in many dining hall dishes). In the last week I've never walked into a dining hall and found nothing appetizing to get. However, a lot of the offered vegetarian dishes simply substitute meat for cheese--there has to be better vegetarian entrees than that! I'd also recommend, if possible, a different variety of vegetables--a lot of the roasted veggies in the dishes are a random assortment of carrots, what looks like zucchini, and some unidentifiable yellow wedges (which, if you allow me to hazard a guess, also falls under the "zucchini" or "squash" range). Broccoli is a far more popular vegetable and packed with nutritiony goodness. I'm always excited whenever I see the rare broccoli in the dining halls.

In the past week, I have had pasta gorgonzola, cheese quesadillas, vegetarian pasta and a hummus wrap at this dining hall--which are all delicious. OVT also offers yakisoba or other meatless noodles and various tofu-substituted items (tofurkey and stir fry), fruit/parfait bar and the salad bar. The yakisoba was terribly sour in taste, and last week the sandwich station went several days without vegetarian options, which was a huge disappointment. I've also dined at Pines (vegetarian rolls, peanut butter for bread, hummus plate and delicious tofu stir fry for those who like tofu) and Foodworx (possibly the best place for vegetarians, with the yummy salads, waffle bar, nutella wraps and customized vegetarian pizzas). Minus yesterday, I'll hope to continue this vegetarian diet for the rest of this month :)

[On the exception of yesterday: it's hard to turn down free fish tacos! Marshall College had a Gastrotrucks event with food vouchers specifically for Marshall students...yum. That was definitely my kind of event. Baja fish taco aside, I also received a free Corner Cupcake in red velvet with irish cream. It was the most delicious thing in the world--the cake was perfectly moist and crumbled, the irish buttercream frosting not too sweet and not too heavy. It. was. so. good!]

I could do with another one of these right about now...
-Rosanne

No comments:

Post a Comment